A Nation for those who cannot see- Singapore


I live as an expat for a couple of years now. Living in Singapore has shown me new dimensions of life and has also taught me to be happy and caring for others.

As usual, last Sunday evening when I was returning home through MRT, something struck my eyes. It's not something new but it's something which went unnoticed for those, with eyesight.

As you may know that all the MRT stations are well paved for the blinds. The emerging lines at the stations help the blinds to find their way home.

Most of the times you may notice kids trying to walk on the raised lines as they play around while reaching the MRT. For those who are busy to catch the next MRT to work, the lines remain unnoticed.

Sunday evening when I was taking the elevator to reach the platform, I met a person who cannot see. As he tried to press the elevator button, I told him it's already pressed, he smiled and said 'ok thank you.' As the elevator arrived, I asked him to enter first, he still had a smile and responded to me to show gratitude. While we approached the ticket counter and was about to exit the gate, he was going to his nearest gate which was closed. I told him that this gate will not open and I will take him to the right gate. He again smiled and said, sometime this gate opens for me. As it did not open this time, I assisted him to the next gate. As we crossed the MRT gates, he did not have anyone to help him anymore.

But that's not all. This is where I felt amazed. From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank a nation that thinks even for the less fortunate. In my words, I call Singapore a Nation for those who cannot see.

Taking this forward, he touched the ground with his stick. He felt the emerging lines that are specially made for the blinds. He followed the lines bit by bit and made his way out of the long underpass avoiding to crash into the walkers or even to the side walls.

As he crosses passed us, I had no words to express. He was following the silver emerging lines on the ground like a maze and found his way out in this beautiful world.

I felt short of words as I want to show my gratitude to the nation of which I could be part for at least a few years. I have seen people standing by those who possess strength and wealth. Here I see a different world where the nation stands by their countrymen without any discrimination and especially thinks about those in need.

My intention behind writing this piece was just to narrate my inner feelings and to contribute to the society I live in.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.